Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Hello. My name is Maggie and I'm a Knitter.

When I say I'm a Knitter I make sure to say it with a capital K. Alright, when I say it you can't really hear the capital K but it's there and if you don't notice the crazy, obsessed person look in my eyes when I start talking about knitting, or yarn, or sweaters, or hats, shawls, scarves... Sorry, I got distracted. If you don't notice The Look and realize you should change the subject while there's still hope, you will quickly come to realize that I love knitting and just about anything to do with yarn and fiber bearing animals. There is a connection here to story characters, both when I'm thinking about my own and other writers'. Generally when a character is described wearing anything knitted, I picture hand knitted, especially when the knitted item was a gift.

Knitters love to knit for characters they love. There are countless patterns for hand knits inspired by Harry Potter, The Golden Compass, John Watson from Sherlock, Sherlock from Sherlock, Jane Austen characters, Lord of the Rings, mythology and Fairy Tales. Pretty much anything with a fandom will have themed knitting projects. I know I have some ideas for a few projects based on characters in some books I've been reading recently.

I'm thinking about a story right now and as soon as I figure out a place to put up an inspiration board there are a couple pictures that will be put up there first. I love John Watson from Steven Moffat's Sherlock and whoever is in charge of the wardrobe for this show is just generally brilliant. May I present the two stand outs of John's sweater collection:



Doesn't he look snugly? In searching for these images I found that there's a Facebook page devoted to John Watson and his sweaters. Anyway, I'm not sure what the point of all of this is. There was one but sometimes thinking about wool, doing Ravelry searches and looking at a cute hobbity,  hedgehog of a guy in a Guernsey sweater makes me go a bit fuzzy headed.

No comments:

Post a Comment